The centre has a number of core programmes that are the lifeblood of the centre e.g.:
The Centre is used extensively as rehearsal venue for all kinds of performing arts, with various exchanges and training programmes that equip the participants with the necessary skills for further self development.
The Arts & Culture Development Programme is one of those programmes that include the Artists In action Residency Program; Skills Transfer; Outreach and Exhibition Programme.
- Artists In action Residency Programme This is a nine month visual art and music skills development programme where the learners are trained in their respective fields to eventually form bands, co-ops or enter tertiary institutions.
- Exhibition Programme Exhibitions are a standard feature at the BAT Centre. The centre seeks to nurture the creative talents of the people of KwaZulu Natal and promote their work. To this end, the centre contains retail art outlets in the craft shop and studio while the two BAT galleries exhibit paintings, sculptures and other forms of artwork by both the resident local upcoming artists. Artworks are displayed for purchase on a monthly cycle and the curator ensures that exhibits are publicized and well attended.
- Skills Transfer ProgrammeThis is the “training of the trainer programme” where the candidates attend workshops which should prepare them for facilitating various BAT programmes.
- Outreach Programme The Outreach programme ensures that the BAT learners give back to communities by researching and implementing projects that will create a positive change in the community. This exercise also helps as a method of rehabilitating the youth at various levels.
- Performing Arts Programme The BAT Centre is also involved in the promotion of the performance arts. We have hosted a number if productions related to the spoken word, such as Poetry Africa, Urban Voices, Durban drum beat and the comedy nights that were staged by the eThekwini municipality. Workshops are an integral part if the performance programme and visiting artists are encouraged to share their knowledge with other.